Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 19:29:27 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   arplookup messages

Ok, we've been getting messages like this one lately:
Sep 13 16:23:42 anguish /kernel: arplookup 205.138.224.173 failed: host is
not on local network

I looked through the archives some, and I saw that other people have had
similar problems, and there were even some posts that gave me a few ideas
of what to look for.  One suggested running route get 205.138.224.173,
which yields:
   route to: usr_7.inreach.com
destination: usr_7.inreach.com
    gateway: gatekeeper.inreach.com
  interface: de0
      flags: <UP,GATEWAY,HOST,DONE>
 recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu
expire
   16384     16384         0         0         0         0      1500
 0

(Sorry if that formats badly).  The same note implied that having that line
that says gateway is bad, but didn't suggest what to do to fix things.
Anyone have any ideas?

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu