Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:19:51 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Eddie Fry <eddie@eaznet.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cyrix MII-300 Processor & FreeBSD

At 12:55 PM 10/21/98 -0700, Eddie Fry wrote:
>I am thinking about using a Cyrix MII-PR300 CPU to build a FreeBSD
>server (2.2.7-R).  Is this going to work?  Any thoughts?

I've got a PR200 in one server, which works well.  Just dogs out for any
number crunching.  Tried processing an 800MB log with Analog and it was
slowwwww.  Go AMD if you don't want to give money to Intel (what they still
want for Pentium!).  You pay a bit more, but should have better
performance, if you need it that is.

My server is almost idle with 200K dns hits/day and few hundred e-mails.
Just don't plan to process http logs on it.  Plenty of memory for such a
large log, but too slow.  No stability problems.

And don't forget:

options	"NO_F00F_HACK"

In your kernel.

Didn't bother with any of the other options in LINT, which were for older
pre-MII processors.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net