Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:56:56 -0400
From:      Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stickybit (Was: Permissions for users in general)

At 09:58 AM 10/27/99 +0300, you wrote:

>See sticky(8).
>
>--
>Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
>ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,
>ru@FreeBSD.org		FreeBSD committer,
>+380.652.247.647	Simferopol, Ukraine

Ok and here is sticky(8) exerpt:

*A directory whose `sticky bit' is set becomes an append-only directory,
*or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is re-
*stricted.	A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by
*a user if the user has write permission for the directory and the user is
*the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the super-user.
*This feature is usefully applied to directories such as /tmp which must
*be publicly writable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily
*delete or rename each others' files.
*Any user may create a sticky directory.  See chmod(1) for details about
*modifying file modes.

This says that a file can be renamed by a user with write permission. Then
a few sentances later in the example it says something opposite????? Which
is it? If a dir is set sticky can a user with write permissions to that
directory rename a file? Doesn't make sence if they can... I would try it,
but I'm at work and we dont have FBSD here... }:(

-Michael