Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:12:55 -0700
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading/CVSUPping with bad ISP connection

>I very strongly suggest building a new kernel, installing it, and rebooting
>*before* building world.  It is much easier to recover from a broken kernel
>than a broken world.  New kernels work with old worlds, but the reverse
>isn't always true.  At some point, this order will be required, since there
>are a bunch of changes in -CURRENT that require it, so now is a good time to
>start gettng used to it.   When you try and config the kernel, you might get
>an error saying that you haven't got a new enough config.  If you do see
>this, do the following:
>#  cp /usr/sbin/config /usr/sbin/config.old
>#  cd /usr/src/user.sbin/config
>#  make cleandir
>#  make && make install
>
>and try again.
>
>Doing things this way isn't any harder, and is much safer.  It might take a
>bit longer since you should do a reboot after make installworld, but I think
>a machine that doesn't break is worth it.
>
>David Scheidt

I should've known this was coming ;)  I had to do this recently on my
-current box following the massive signal changes, however I've not yet
adopted this as standard policy.  I guess I've got the old "kernel and
userland should be in sync" idea embedded too far into my head.  Well, that
and i don't recall ever having a bad kernel that wasn't My Own Stupid Fault.

Is the "kernel before world" philosophy going to become SOP?

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com