Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:21:53 -0400
From:      Ryan Dewalt <rdewalt@meridianksi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sendmail Question?

I have a minor problem under sendmail 8.11.2 on one of my machines.

I've replaced a faulty mail server with a FreeBSD 4.2-Stable machine.  All
has gone well for a month, with one exception.   Users taking their laptops
home, can't send mail to Not-Our-Domain users, but can send just fine to
Domain users. (Can send to bob@ourdomain.com but not bob@foobar.com)

From information on sendmail.org on allowing controled smtp relaying, I'm
attempting to add FEATURE(relay_local_from).

I've added the line to the bottom of the generic-bsd4.4.mc and ran make
successfully on the file, generating the .cf

I've replaced the current sendmail.cf with the new sendmail.cf (making a
backup of course)  and I'm getting unusual behavior, perhaps someone can
shed a light, or at least point to more information?  sendmail.org doesn't
seem to have a solution.

What happens:

(pre FEATURE)
domain users can send mail as normal.

Not in the domain domain users (going through a dialup ISP at home for
example)can't send mail as domain users to non-domain users( 550, Relaying
denied ) but can send just fine to domain users.

(post FEATURE)
Not in the domain users can send mail as normal

domain users -appear- to send mail as normal, but the mail does not arrive.

-----
The only file that has changed is the sendmail.cf, it does find all the
previous sendmail.cw and so forth files just fine.  No lines appear in
syslog or messages or maillog to give reason as to what is wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for, or where I could
perhaps go for more information?   Usenet articles from dejanews have
pointed me to the same FEATURE as sendmail.org, but as far as my searchings
have said, nothing points as to what is going wrong.

-Thank you.
 Ryan