Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:24:42 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, Victor Rotanov <vitjok@fasts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cheap and good network cards

At 11:12 AM 1/24/97 -0800, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Victor Rotanov wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Dont know if this question belongs here, but anyway...
>>
>> What cheap and good 10mbit network cards exist that will work both under
>> freebsd and win95?
>>
>> Things like surecom do not work on all systems and 3com is too expensive...
>
>My favorite 10mbit ISA card are the SMC's.  CompUSA has the EtherEZ for
>$100, so you should be able to find it for less.
>
>If that doesn't count as cheap, then look for a decent NE2000 clone.  It
>will eat more CPU time, and i get better transfer rates out of the SMCs
>(though not by much).  We use $35 clones from just about any source.  The
>biggest difference I've found is that while almost all are software-setup
>only now, some will only let you set up the first card it finds.  Others
>will list all cards and let you choose which one to use.

Kingston has a PCI card based on the Dec 21040 (I think), which should work
fine under WinSHit95 and FreeBSD. The price I have seen for it, were around
$55 or less

Ulf.

Alameda Networks, Inc.   | Ulf Zimmermann (ulf@Alameda.net)
1525 Pacific Avenue      | Phone: (510)769-2936
Alameda, CA 94501        | Fax  : (510)521-5073