Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:56:03 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Rob Simons <rob@xs1.simplex.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, rob@xs1.simplex.nl
Subject:   Re: term server

At 09:41 AM 3/27/97 +0100, Rob Simons wrote:
>I'm looking into combined ISDN/analog access solutions and wonder
>what the general opinion is on the matter.
>I've heard good things about the Ascend MAX 4000 as well as about
>the Livingston Portmaster solutions.
>
>Which of these is considered to be the best choice for an ISP, and
>what do I need to provide ISDN/analog access to my (mainly FreeBSD)
>network ?  (we currently use modems directly on one FreeBSD machine,
>and a sepparate ISDN access router from Gandalf)

What I would check first is what you will pay for PRI vs BRI (12), which
seems to be a deciding factor for many, as this is a recurring cost.

You do not want the 4000, which is outdated and a waste, the 4004 is
cheaper.  Of course they will give you a "good deal" for the outdated version.

For pure ISDN the PM3 from Livingston is clearly a winner

PM3-2T = ~$5700
4004   = ~$14000 (or was it more, I forget and threw out my figures)

Even if you do mixed analog/ISDN then the PM3 is only $17K loaded.  The
have an excellent leasing program, which is open ended and you own the
equipment at the end of the lease.  Try to find another solution for
$350/port.

One disadvantage is no STAC, but coming soon, and 56KFlex support will be
behind USR's X2, which we decided to not bother with.

Support is excellent, even on the mailing list there are many helpful hands.

Guess you could say I don't have much good to say about Ascend, they never
returned calls on a sales lead for a few tech questions and they called me
3 or 4 times for sales too!

The PM3 is a work of art, IMHO.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990