Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 21:19:49 -0500
From:      Jack Wenger <info@bentreality.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Virtual Domain CGI-BIN

This might be a simple question, but I've tried the Apache newsgroup and
haven't seen any kind of answer. Please help! I need this to work, because
of a software package that will only work with the cgi-bin setup *above*
the webroot, in my case /usr/home/virtdomain/cgi-bin.
What I'm trying to do is setup cgi-bin for my virtual domains. I've been
able to make it work when the cgi-bin is under the webroot, i.e.
"/usr/home/virtdomain/www/cgi-bin" where www is the web root. I do this
using "ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/home/virtdomain/www/cgi-bin" in my
httpd.conf. When I try to make the cgi-bin ABOVE the webroot, i.e.
"/usr/home/virtdomain/cgi-bin" and change the conf file httpd.conf to
"ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/home/virtdomain/cgi-bin" I get a 403 error,
"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this
server.", or the script just isn't found.  Any ideas? I can't see why this
particular ScriptAlias doesn't work, and I know the permissions are set to
775 for the directory and files. I also have the "AddHandler cgi-script
.cgi" in my srm.conf and a virtual domain setup that looks like this in my
httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost www.bentreality.com>
ServerAdmin webmaster@bentreality.com
DocumentRoot /usr/home/jwenger/www
ServerName www.bentreality.com
<Directory /usr/home/jwenger/cgi-bin/>
Options +ExecCGI
DefaultType application/x-httpd-cgi
</Directory>
ErrorLog /var/log/brg-error_log
TransferLog /var/log/brg-access_log
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/home/jwenger/cgi-bin/
</VirtualHost>

Help!

------------- The Ultimate in Web Design --------------
 Bent Reality Graphics                Jack Wenger, Owner
 info@bentreality.com     http://www.bentreality.com
            608-233-8571 or 1-888-701-1026