Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 12:26:31 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

REF. Mike's comment:

Unfortunately, I just can't code (in C or c++ at least, which would be the
way to start making something happen) so, many times I may be discussing
things that are not that easy to do.

But what I'm trying to say is that there are other approaches to the final
user that can be used to make FBSD even better in another way: The final
user approval; That really matters !

Now this point was REALLY interesting:

>One real problem with GUI stuff of all kinds is that it's too often
>designed without any error checking in mind. Especially when it's
>just an install program that you use only once...
>--
>Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr

If an installer program is not well developed "just" becouse it will be
used only once, oh well, than just change the use that you have for the
program, just like what happens to FBSD installer: it installs, upgrades
and allows  several changes in the system. It's a multiple purpose
application that is worth spending time to make errors free.

Another option I thought of being of some interest for final users would be
an installation option where, after installation,  the system would start X
directly. Non tech ppl like things to be easy. Out of the box, being ready
to use.

But this would be a future step, I guess.

I dream of finding Free being used at offices, with standard office
applications, that's why I give so much importance to this non tech
unimportant "crap".