Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 20:33:02 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>, "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

At 11:21 PM 6/14/98 -0400, you wrote:

>In fact, I tryed today chsh and it was vi who was the editor.

Hmm, strange, when I switched from csh to sh it was ee that was the editor,
but vi was the editor when switching back.  I think it has something to do
with the default editor set in your home directory.  You must have already
been set to vi as the default when you switched.

I did finally get the thing about command mode and edit mode.  The thing
that bugged me was there was no easy way to escape it, even ctrl-alt-del
was trapped and I think I had to shut off my computer to get out of it at
first.  Then I read the man pages enough to change the one character I
needed (added "C" before "SH" to change it back to "CSH" and got into
command mode, saved and exited.  That did the trick.  What kind of an
editor is it when you have to shut down your computer, reboot several
times, read man pages three times to alter one character?  Like I said, I
think it would be a fit punishment for someone who committed a serious
crime to have to write a 40 page essay using vi.  Do that instead of
sending to jail, and he won't ever commit a crime again :-)

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.