Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:39:03 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

At 12:41 PM 6/17/98 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:

>>Why would there be nothing else around?  You could stick gunzip and a
>>gzip'ed version of ee on a single floppy disk and take it with you wherever
>>you go, or probably ee or a similar editor would fit on a floppy just fine
>>uncompressed.
>
>Because you're working on a system that doesn't *have* a floppy drive
>(such as my Sun 3/60).  Or it has one, but it's broken.  Or the device
>driver for the floppy is acting weird.
>
>(Floppies are actually rather unnatural I/O devices to some of us....)

Point well taken.

>Maybe that's OK, if you're *always* going to be using a set of
>homogeneous systems... but that's not the reality many of us live in.

It *does* all depend on what environment you're working in.  Most PC's have
a 3 1/2" 1.44 MB floppy drive (at least those that an administrator cares a
little less about security on), it's become a ubiquitous standard, as do
Macs.  Other platforms, maybe not.

>If you want to thus restrict yourself, go ahead... but I hate to see
>someone do something like that without at least being aware of some
>consequences that, in my experience, are likely to be encountered.

OK, let me ask you this.  Are there any other editors that are as
ubiquitous as  vi that may be a *little* easier to learn and use?  Most
machines have Pine/Pico installed as well, don't they?

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.