Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 11:17:38 +1000
From:      otter@tig.com.au
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Very basic questions...

Greetings A/all,

	new to the list, and very pleased to see another couple of skippies here ; ))

	I was wondering if someone can give me a bit of a pointer, FreeBSD is a
Unix like system, right? Means I have to use Unix type commands to work the
thing?  I have nfi re Unix, and GNULinux seems to cost a fortune although
it is quite trendy these days.

	I was hoping there'd be a really easy way out of stumbling along
ignorantly, perhaps I can run X-Windows under BSD and still use all my old
apps while I'm learning the foibles of the new OS....

	What's the best way to format the start menu so the thing boots to BSD
unless I tell it otherwise?

	I'm hoping I'll be able to get some info here and on the newsgroups, as my
isp's web server is slow as a wet week lately, and there's a time limit  )) :

>The best thing I can suggest is to go to Yahoo! and do a search on
>"spam" which will bring up dozens of helpful sites that explain how
>to read mail headers and what you can do.

Oddly enough, I've canned the entire domains of the US based popular free
mail services... except for friends addys.  I get nothing _but_ spam from
Yahoo!

Cheers, Lisa aka Ananke

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~otter/myo