Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:09:29 -0400
From:      "Windsor Match Plate and Tool Ltd." <wmptl@MNSi.Net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cron difficulties

To Whomever May Respond,

	We are running FreeBSd 2.2.6 release, on a system as described below:

	-486 DX2-50, 128k cache
	-20megs 20pin RAM, (4 fours, four ones)
	-3.2gig quantum ATA drive
	-8x Mitsumi Atapi CD-Rom

       Using Software Packages:
	-Bind 8.
	-Qualcomm Qpopper 2.53
	-Apache Webserver 1.3.6

We have a problem with cron, and are not sure how to fix it. We have two
scripts that run every two minutes, the problem being that every two
minutes root is getting mail about it. How does one turn of cron's mailto
ability, bear in mind that we're using FreeBSD 2.2.6, and that the manpages
were of little help. I've tried calling cron with the following, (none
worked):
	cron mailto=""
	cron mailto="."
	cron mailto="/dev/null"
	cron mailto=
	cron -l (which someone had suggested from irc, illegal flag anyhow)

If anyone out there knows how turn off the mail feature of cron altogether
that would be nice, if not for just the cron jobs that are causing
annoyances, a copy of the /etc/crontab follows appends this note.

Nathan Vidican
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
wmptl@mnsi.net (personal: unix_usr@fcmail.com)

<start of /etc/crontab>
# /etc/crontab - root's crontab for FreeBSD
#
# $Id: crontab,v 1.13 1996/01/06 22:21:37 ache Exp $
# From: Id: crontab,v 1.6 1993/05/31 02:03:57 cgd Exp
#
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/etc:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
HOME=/var/log
#
#minute hour    mday    month   wday    who        command
#
*/5     *       *       *       *       root       /usr/libexec/atrun
#
# rotate log files every hour, if necessary
0       *       *       *       *       root       /usr/sbin/newsyslog
#

# do daily/weekly/monthly maintenance
0       2       *       *       *       root       /etc/daily 2>&1 |
sendmail root
30      3       *       *       6       root       /etc/weekly 2>&1 |
sendmail root
30      5       1       *       *       root       /etc/monthly 2>&1 |
sendmail root
#

# wmptl log clean-out
# the second entry here causing the most difficulty, also tried changing
# the 'who' part of the table to /dev/null, (didn't work)
30      15      *       *       *       root       sh /etc/rmlogs
*/2     *       *       *       *       root       sh /etc/rmpopper

# wmptl system backup to be recorded to cdrom
0       20      *       *       1       root       sh /etc/backupweekly
0       20      20      *       *       root       sh /etc/backupmonthly

# wmptl daily check routine for email sent to wmptl@mnsi.net
# set to check email every morning at 8:30AM, and forward to
transcon@wmptl.net
# uncomment the following line to enable this feature, (connection to internet
# must also be activated, 'ppp -auto -alias mnsi' )
30      8       *       *       *       root    popclient -u wmptl -p
<censored> -o /var/mail/transcon in.mnsi.net

# time zone change adjustment for wall cmos clock,
# See adjkerntz(8) for details.
1,31	0-4	*	*	*	root	/sbin/adjkerntz	-a