Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:07:52 +0900
From:      chas <panda@skinnyhippo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adopt a newbie program - Thanks

> > Maybe my idea for an adopt a newbie program is lame.
>
>Ideas honestly posed for consideration are never lame.
>Impractical?  Yes, I believe so.  You are fighting human nature.
>
> > That's ok.  But
> > perhaps there needs to be somthing in place to make searching for the
> > answers a little more intuitive for someone who is new to the game.
> >

>You will get no argument from me on that one.  Good materials
>always make eductation more efficient.

I'm going to go off on a tangent here a little bit :

I wish I could stay on the FreeBSD mailing lists... I used to
learn a lot here. BUT, there is simply too much traffic for me
to cope and sift through it all.  So I have to jump on now
and again to see how FBSD is doing and/or if I have any problems.

Now, has anyone here been on the Sun-managers or Alpha-managers
mailing lists ? These are mailing lists for sysadmins of Sun boxes
and Digital Unix Alpha boxes. Most of these guys/girls run mission
critical apps and high-quality support is paramount. The charter
on the lists runs like this :

Person-in-trouble posts a question to the list.

People who know the answer email him/her directly (NOT broadcast to the list).

Person-in-trouble sorts out his/her problem then posts the solution
back to the list with a subject line that starts "SUMMARY: " followed
by his/her original question.

Advantages of such a system :
a) people have to show they learned something; it deters the
   simple questions asked out of laziness.
b) sifting through the archives is much easier - you can see
   the solutions because they have the subject line "SUMMARY:..."
   in fact, as soon as i got on the lists, that's all i did for
   the first few days - big learning experience
c) less noise of course. this in turn means that members are more
   likely to read problems etc.
d) i don't know why, but people tend to read the FAQs and
   search the archives more than here.

perhaps I'm mentioning this in the wrong context...  I know that
freebsd-questions sometimes has long threads where people are
correcting each other.. and such a forum is valuable. however, there
*is* a lot of deja vu in posts.

Anyway, such a sytem would allow more people (who probably can not
deal with so much traffic), to stay on the list where they can continue
to contribute and learn - since these are usually the more experienced
members who've gone past the learning stage.

I've actually mentioned this before on this very list but it
was given a huge thumbs-down. Maybe a separate list would work well -
personally I believe it would add credence to FreeBSD support
for mission critical apps.  On alpha-managers and sun-managers,
problems are characteristically resolved in a matter of minutes.
(which happens here too but there it's known that systems/jobs
and money are at stake).

yeah, that was a bit off-topic perhaps. sorry.

ctrl-d  at will.

chas