Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:16:14 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broken pipe

At 23:06 29-12-1998 +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>df reports free space available to normal users. Root however can use
>more than this, so even if df reports your disk as 100% full, root can
>still create more files.

Interesting. Where do they get stored? (I admit I have no idea how Unix
stores files; I am quite familiar with the FAT system, but all I know about
Unix way is that it is different.)

I really need to get another hard disk, install the sources, and learn from
them. What a wonderful resource that must be!

>> 2. How do I tell the daemons to quit sending all those messages? I can read
>> them the first time they send them, why do they keep repeating them?
>
>Which daemon(s) do you mean, specifically?

Whatever is being loaded at boot time. The messages were scrolling so fast,
I could only get the general idea they were complaining about insufficient
disk space. I am new to this. And of course, since I reinstalled, there are
no logs. So, I don't know which ones.

My question was (meant to be) generic: When I get so many messages, is
there some key I can hit to stop the messages so I can get to the prompt
and type a command and see what it does? That is basically what I am asking.

Come to think of it, I did not even get a chance to log on. If it did print
"login:" it scrolled off so fast that I did not see it. I guess I could
have tried switching to another console, but it did not occur to me at the
time.

Thanks for your reply,

Adam

           ===> Whiz Kid Technomagic <===
             http://www.whizkidtech.net/
    The resource center for webmasters and web users
       Winner of the Starting Point Hot Site award
            Winner of the Lighthouse Award
             Home of the Web Magic Award