Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:47:27 -0500
From:      "STeve Andre'" <andres@msu.edu>
To:        Martin Horcicka <mhor5157@ss1000.ms.mff.cuni.cz>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, misc@openbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why so many BSDs?

I think you might be able to distill that down to one word: freedom.

Each group does things its own way.  As with any complex undertaking
which involves many people, there comes a time when a group fissions,
heading off in two different directions.  If you think about it you'll
see this effect in other areas of your life, too.  The technical aspects
of why one group splits off from another is irrelevant; it simply
happens.

However, the projects do help each other, quite a lot.  The code that
one develops frequently makes it way into other projects, such that what
one group does has benefits for all the others.  The philosophy of being
open is so wonderful--here at least, there are no Scrooges jealously
guarding source code, ensuring that no one else gets the benefit of it.

The freedom to freely regroup ultimately helps all.

--STeve Andre'
andres@msu.edu