Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 00:58:10 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

At 22:27 25-03-2000 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
>Perhaps if those who preached about civil liberties focussed on the
>rights of victims more than the rights of criminals we may get
>somewhere.

The victims have the right to carry firearms. Unfortunately, most people do
not carry them, many would not even know how to use them. Had the victims
been armed and trained, most of them would not have been victimized.

Criminals would be less likely to commit violent crimes if they expected
most people to be armed and trained.

I used to be a volunteer deputy sheriff for six years. Before that, I never
owned a firearm. When I became a deputy I quickly found out that most
police officers I talked to wished every citizen were armed. At about that
time a gunman walked into a California McDonald's and massacred people
there. My firearms instructor was quick to point out that if at least one
other person inside had a gun and knew how to use it, it would have been
the gunman who'd end up massacred.

Frankly, I believe the law should not try to ban firearms. It should
require everyone except Buddhists to own and carry a firearm all the time.
And, of course, to know how to use it properly.

Cheers,
Adam