Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 09:31:52 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-BSD FUD

At 18:47 06-06-2000 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>See
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2582875,00.html

Strange thing... I wanted to make sure to know what exactly "fud" means, so
I checked Merriam-Webster's online dictionary (http://www.m-w.com/).

According to the dictionary, "fud" is synonymous with "fuddy-duddy", which
is a (circa) 1904 word meaning "one that is old-fashioned, unimaginative,
or conservative."

But I don't think that's what you had in mind.

Anyway, I always thought fud was a linuxy slang word for twisting
propaganda. If my understanding of the word is correct, then I would not
say the article is fud.

I *disagree* with the author, but I don't think he means to be distorting
facts for propaganda purposes, or, for that matter, that he is "anti-BSD"
(he does say BSD is a better OS than Linux, after all). I get the
impression he is expressing his opinion.

While I disagree with what he says, I feel obliged to defend his right to
say it.

That said, I thought David Schwartz's reply in the comment section of the
article was well thought out and made perfect sense.

Your (Brett's) response that MS would have found a way to circumvent any
license made perfect sense as well. I'm just not sure that calling the
article fud is going to convince the other side, and will probably let them
refuse the rest of your argument based on (their) emotional reasons.
Without the fud sting, they could hardly argue with you. Unfortuntely, now
they do.

Cheers,
Adam
"I think, therefore I am."
                    - Seventeenth Century Philosophy

"I publish what I think, therefore I have."
                    - Twenty-First Century Action

Details at http://www.OnlinePublisher.net/