Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 19:06:17 -0700
From:      Cherie&John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        <kstewart@urx.com>, <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <rmoss@bigpond.net.au>, <backdoc@netdoor.com>
Subject:   Re: slooooow ping reply and 60% packet loss on 3c509

First off, grateful thanks to Kent Stewart, Ted Mittelstaedt, Robert Moss,
and Darren for their replies.

I've had a wild ride through FreeBSD-land today, and the end is not yet in
sight...sadly, my original problem is still with me.

To recap: I have two Win98 PC's with SMC 1244TX 10/100 NICs, connected by a
single crossover cable (cat 5) with no hub. They happily ping each other
with sub-millisecond response times and 0% packet loss.

I have a third PC, a 200 MHz Pentium, on which I just installed FreeBSD
4.2. This PC has a 3Com 3c509b NIC in it. When I hooked up the FreeBSD PC
in place of one of the WinDoze machines, the WinDoze machine failed to ping
the FreeBSD machine at all; the FreeBSD machine occasionally get a return
packet from the WinDoze machine, with about 10 to 20 *seconds* delay, and a
60% - 95% packet loss rate :(

did the following today:

1) Ran dmesg and found out that all was not well - there appeared to be
both ep0 and ep1 devices, and an ep0: No irq?! message. On close inspection
I noticed that the USB controller was on irq 10, and that there was an
entry "Sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>. Since ep0 was trying to
also use irq 10 and I/O Ox300, there appeared to be conflicts here.

I eventually fixed this by downloading 3c5x9cfg.exe and pnpdsabl.bat from
the 3Com website, turning off PnP on the ethernet card, then configuring it
to irq 5 and I/0 Ox320. Rebooted to FreeBSD, ran dmesg, no errors. So far
so good.

2) Looked in /etc/rc.conf and found multiple entries for the non-existent
ep1, but none for ep0. Took out the wrong entries, put in the line
"ifconfig_ep0="inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 media 10baseT/UTP".
So my card should now be correctly set up and forced to 10MHz, half-duplex.

3)Went to my Windoze machine, configured the SMC 1244TX 10/100 card to also
run at 10 MHz, half-duplex.

End result? The FreeBSD machine now can ping the WinDoze machine with
response times ranging from one *second* to 60 *seconds* and a packet loss
of between 95% and 65%. The longer I let the pinging go on, the better the
packet loss number becomes, i.e it goes from 95% to 65% over several
minutes of pinging.

The Windoze machine now can ping the FreeBSD machine about once in every 25
tries; packet loss is about 95%, round trip times between one second and 4
seconds.

Anyone have any more suggestions? I seem to have tried all the ones I got
or could think of. Incidentally, I searched the mailing list archives for
questions related to 3c509 cards, and found several messages relating
similar problems to mine, but apparently everyone else got their network to
work once they followed all the steps I took above. Unfortunately it hasn't
worked for me  yet! Is it time to get another NIC, this one of the PCI
persuasion?

TIA,
-John Carri