Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:27:33 +0100
From:      Georg Bege <georg@bege.email>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Re: Support for ATM bridging (RFC1483/2684) in FreeBSD?

--k3qfEkjxBAfFrdG2nTzjb3cCDbGT52Zuq
From: Georg Bege <georg@bege.email>
To: freebsd-net@freebsd.org

--LfUIl0anDhmMft4fW6VgIHfYiveYhGEI8

Datum: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:26:30 +0100
Von: Georg Bege <georg@bege.email>
Antwort an: georg@bege.email
An: Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>

Hello

Thanks for your response.
Well I have come to the believe that no special hardware is required for
this, basically they somehow seem to route this via PPPoE (or at least
that's what I think).
Basically you establish an PPPoE connection and then you somehow must
acquire an virtual ATM device (which carries VCR/VCI.. and encapsulates
this) much like VDSL does with vlan tagging....

Im not sure if Im 100% correct, but for example I can establish the
internet connection with just an normal ADSL2+ Annex J compatible Modem
and PPPoE works too.
What I dont get without this bridging stuff is the IPTV stream, it seems
that on this bridged device an dhcp query is necessary in order to get
access to the multicast net.

regards,
Georg

Am 13.01.2018 um 16:42 schrieb Eugene Grosbein:
> 13.01.2018 19:55, Georg Bege wrote:
>=20
>> Im looking for information if ATM bridging is (or was?) possible with
>> FreeBSD.
>> Basically its the same which is available in Linux for a long time now=
:
>> https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/8-br2684ctl/
>> https://home.regit.org/technical-articles/atm-bridging/
>>
>> I'd like to use FBSD as an gateway/router however, I've a strange kind=

>> of IPTV+Internet over ADSL (no VDSL available).
>>
>> I've found natmip(4) so far, but Im uncertain if this is truly the rig=
ht
>> thing...
>=20
> It depends on hardware you have. Do you have some internal PCI ATM adap=
ter or external device?
>=20
>=20

--=20