Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:43:23 -0500
From:      David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Powerbook Setup

On Oct 19, 2004, at 2:20 PM, John Baldwin wrote:

> desktop use.)  Oh, and "switch user" from panther.  My wife and I
> often share
> the same FreeBSD + KDE machine at home and when I'm not using a laptop
> we
> have to keep logging out to let the other person use the machine.
> Having
> switch user for KDE would be very, very nice.

Not as nice as switching users, but it's possible to run more than one
instance of an X server on the machine.

  startx -- :1

will start X on the next available vt, and call it display :1.  I'm
sure xdm can be made to run on it with not much effort, if you feel the
need for that.

Hitting ctrl-alt-fn is not quite as nice as picking a name out of a
menu, and there are some resources wasted.  For two people, on a modern
machine, it should be quite fine.