Date:      Wed, 18 May 2011 22:02:34 +0000 (UTC)
From:      rondzierwa@comcast.net
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   using the host cd/dvd drive

I am running VirtualBox 3.2.12_ose from the ports collection in FreeBSD 8.2. I want to configure my WinXP guest so that it can access the physical host cd/dvd drive, hopefully with passthru enabled. When I add a CD/DVD device, it does not give me the option to select "Host Drive". In the "CD/DVD Device" dropdown the only selections I get are the ISO's I defined in storage manager, and "Empty". The folder Icon beside it only takes me to storage manager. The "Passthrough" checkbox is gray'ed out. My physical DVD drive is /dev/acd0. I have tried creating a sym link from it to /dev/cdrom, to no avail. I have tried the storageattach command with VBoxManage with --medium host:/dev/acd0 --type dvddrive and --medium host:/dev/cdrom and I get a "Invalid host DVD drive name" error. I have tried changing the permissions on /dev/acd0 to rwxrwxrwx, and changing the ownership to me, still no difference.

what do i have to do to configure passthrough access to the host dvd drive?

thanks,
ron.