Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:44:14 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

> The only thing that really gets my goat is pretending that if it's not an
> issue for an expert then it won't be an issue to anyone else.

I don't believe I've ever taken that attitude.  If I did, then you'd
still be using shell scripts to install FreeBSD and wouldn't have a
ports collection either since software is so easy to configure and
compile for FreeBSD, right? :-)

> I doubt many would want either of them. I found it very difficult to get
> 1. advice on how much space each distribution would take to install
>    (which is not the same as final disk space)
> 2. advice during or before installation on the size of packages, like
>    is it a few K or a few tens of megs.
> Anything to assist here would be worthwhile.

Unfortunately, like I said, this information isn't readily available
or it would, indeed, be provided already.

> Sure, as soon as I can I will, but isn't that a bit of a catch 22?

Welcome to the world of free software! :)

> where it is reasonably practical to do so. Tailoring everything to
> experts is an easy trap to slip into. We're just starting to come out of

Again, that's *never* been an attitude I've embraced, not even from
the very beginning days of the project, and the reason that we have as
many "creature comforts" as we do stems from the fact that it has
*always* been a priority to provide such comforts, there are simply
many many more items on the creature comfort wish-list than any of us
have time to implement. :-(

- Jordan