Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 15:04:50 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>, "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring XFree 4 (was: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/sysinstall Makefile dispatch.c dist.c install.c menus.c sysinstall.8)

>   xf86cfg uses "XFree86 -configure" to detect the hardware before
> entering graphical mode, then allows you to edit the configuration
> file that is generated.

Oh yeah, I think I've mentioned this before but just to bring it back
into focus so we're not blind-sided by other reports, XFree86 4.x will
bring you to grief if you have one of those Athlon-based Compaq
machines, and possibly one of their Intel based models (but I can't
personally verify that which use the following on-board graphical
chipset:

pci1: <S3 model 8a26 graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 3
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x134d, dev=0x7897) at 4.0 irq 10

[And no, I have absolutely no idea what this weird S3 thing is. My experience
with S3 chipsets is something which has thankfully diminished over time]

In this scenario, X -configure will thwack your FreeBSD 4.x box so
hard that you won't even get a crashdump out of it.  Total system
wedge, nothing to do but push the reset button, etc.

Unfortunately, the box I have which does this is sitting in a room
surrounded by Macs, so even running a serial console in order to see
if there's any actual panic message is somewhat problematic at the
moment.  I keep meaning to bring in a PC laptop and a suitable cable
to try this with but it just never seems to happen.  Maybe I should
just walk into Mike Smith's office and try to pester him into hooking
something up since I'm sure he's got so much semi-sentient junk in
there that he could cobble something together just out of the spare
parts bin. :)

- Jordan