Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:35:54 -0800
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S." <m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [comp.os.linux.announce] ....

Bakul Shah wrote:

> What would make sense (from a software developer's point of view) is
> for key FreeBSD developers to work with key LINUX developers and
> come up with a common interface (beyond POSIX).  [Add to taste
> statements like `Free OS people can only help themselves and their
> users by uniting.  The enemy is not another free OS but M$.  ....']

I donīt think LINUX guys will help, they already have much work defining
their own standards :(, in fact many commercial providers dislike LINUX
because of their multiple distributions. POSIX is an important first
step because it applies to commercial and non-commercial UNIX.
A good strategy would be a "certification seal" under FreeBSD (fight
using MS weapons ?): if the app runs under fbsdīs Linux emulation it
will probably run under any Linux, besides most users will want to know
which apps will run under FreeBSD before buying them.

Pedro.