Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 15:04:54 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>, hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd@iafrica.com, danielc@iafrica.com
Subject:   Re: Terry

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I've noticed a oddity on some FreeBSD 2.2 and 3.0-current machines. If I
> > finger a user on a public host of ours, I just get the hostname in square
> > brackets i.e. [servername.somewhere.org] and nothing else.
> >
> > If I try it from a Solaris box or a Linux box on the same network, with
> > nothing more (or less) special on the public machine's hosts.allow, it
> > displays the relevant information.
> >
> > Any ideas ?
>
> You must recompile fingerd; the structure of utmp has recently changed
> in -current.

TERRY
read the question!!
he's talking CLIENT problems..

while you're on,
I'm interested in doing some integration of your layering fixes,
IF you can send them to me as a bunch of individual patch sets,
each of whuch addresses a differnt problem.

(of course each patch would require discussion with others but at least
if they ARE individual problem fixes, they CAN be sensibly discussed!)

send mew the first patch as soon as you are ready!

julian