Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:54:04 -0600
From:      Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd vs ijppp ( switching from user to kernel ppp )

Greetings,

I'm trying to set up kernel ppp just to see how much of a difference
there really is.  I've been using user PPP without problems for months.

I've built a kernel with ppp support and taken out tunnel support.

I've created scripts to dial out to my ISP and hang up when I'm done,
and this all seems to work.

I'm having a little problem in that after a few minutes of running I
lose all routes to the outside and have to re-boot.  This is repeatable
and happens every time I try to use kernel PPP to dial out to my ISP.

I' wondering if I've missed something in setting this all up.

What else do I need to do to properly configure the machine.  It's a
stand-alone 3.0-Current/SMP machine.

Thanks

Randy