Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2011 11:38:39 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Philip M. Gollucci <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing a failed disk in raidz2 zfs (and gpt)

Am 03.02.2011 um 07:11 schrieb Philip M. Gollucci:

> All filesystems are formatted with the current version.
>=20
> $ hd -v /dev/mfid3p1 | head
> hd: /dev/mfid3p1: Input/output error
>=20
> $ hd -v /dev/gpt/disk3 | head
> hd: /dev/gpt/disk3: Input/output error

Did you install a partition table on the disk (or otherwise opened it =
for writing) after you swapped it in?

I can't think of many reasons why you would get an I/O error if the =
controller is happy with the disk (as the later messages indicate), so =
I'm speculating that the provider feels it's device has gone; opening =
mfid3 for writing might trigger a proper GEOM retaste (dd if=3D/dev/null =
of=3D/dev/mfid3).

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811