Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 1997 01:14:11 -0500
From:      Bob Badaracco <rjb@webspan.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Security and operation of rcmd function...

I'm hoping that a Unix RPC programming expert can shed some light
on using the rcmd() function call. The man page on this function
states that you must have super user priviledges in order to envoke
it as a client. Does the iruserok() function that controls client
validation at the server allow rcmd to be used by clients other than
the super user? If access to the rcmd() can be lowered so anobody
other than the SU can use it, how would I use iruserok() to do this?

Basically, I need to use the rcmd() function to execute a program
on a remote server without requiring super user priviledges to do so.
Can this be done?