Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 19:50:34 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

David Greenman wrote:

>    I must be seriously missing something here. I thought ISPs were in business
> to make money? It seems to me that if you make more money by providing all of
> the content of Usenet (WHATEVER that might be), then that's what you should
> do. If you chose to chop out 90% of the Usenet content with full knowledge
> that you will lose customers and make less money, than that's just being a
> morality Czar and has nothing to do with the economics.

One of the principle costs in running an ISP is the cost of bandwidth.
Usenet is a big hit on bandwidth, the cost of which is disproportionate
to the revenue generated from those that actually use it.  Anything
which can reduce this major cost centre will be beneficial to ALL ISPs,
regardless of size.

There just isn't enough bandwidth... ever...

> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

regards
damian

--
* PIAB - PoP In A Box - the total solution for ISPs, with more features
* than a Constable landscape, and very cheap too!!