Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:08:21 -0700
From:      Eddie Fry <eddie@eaznet.com>
To:        Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@denverweb.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

Blaine Minazzi wrote:

> David Greenman wrote:
>
> > do. If you chose to chop out 90% of the Usenet content with full knowledge
> > that you will lose customers and make less money, than that's just being a
> > morality Czar and has nothing to do with the economics.
> >
> > -DG
> >
> > David Greenman
> > Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project
>
> What does morality have to do with not pissing away bandwidth?
>
> So... leave the porn in, and risk a lawsuit. take it out and risk a
> lawsuit.
> Screw it, go with the low bandwidth solution.
>
> If the porn  REALLY is 90% of usenet content, then we certainly need to
> fix it.
>
> I don't buy the fact that our incomes would suffer greatly by simple
> having the customer
> fetch the stuff from  smut_r_us.com rather than us having to store
> hundreds of megs of
> this shit on our servers, just so someone can get their rocks off.  If I
> want to make money
> in that arena, I would open a strip club or adult bookstore.
>
> It is still available, we just dont shuffle  a gazzillion megs of the
> shit around daily.
> Since most of it is the same "back issues" and same old files, it's
> REALLY a bandwidth pisser.
>
> Economics is simple.  You make the choices YOU think are most benificial
> to the company.
> You live with the results.
>
> Blaine

I am in TOTAL agreement.  I don't think anyone's going to lose customers
because they don't keep this junk on a local drive.  If anything, change
your focus from "WE GIVE YOU EVERYTHING A SMUT-LOVER WOULD WANT" to "WE
GIVE YOU FASTER ACCESS AND DOWNLOAD SPEEDS" because we don't jam our
lines with smut.

Eddie