Date:      Thu, 01 May 1997 10:36:55 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt>
Subject:   Re: Assigning more disk space...

Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez wrote:

> Hello!
>
> When I installed FreeBSD in my machine, it has Windows95, so I used fips
> and assigned half of the disk space to freebsd and the other half to
> windows. Now, I want to throw away Win95 and assign its disk space to
> FreeBSD. Also, I am running out of swap (I used the defaults when
> installing), so probably I need to assign aditional swap space too. What
> is the best way to do both things? My FBSD version is 2.1.5.
>
> TIA for your help!
>
> Victor

This is pretty tough. Having two FreeBSD slices on the same hard disk is
a bit of a problem because only one of them can be bootable, and by
murphy's law, if you delete your Win95 partition and put a FreeBSD slice
instead, it will render your old FreeBSD slice unbootable. I'd suggest
backing up and reinstalling FreeBSD to take the whole disk. You may also
try to create a FreeBSD slice instead of the Win95 slice, and if it
doesn't boot, install FreeBSD into that slice, and then modifying it to
use everything but the root filesystem from the second slice, but I'd
rate that as dangerous at best.

Nadav