Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:21:01 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printer recommendation

Hi everyone.

My trusty old Panasonic PostScript KX-P4455 laser printer is on its last
leg, and I frankly don't want to maintain the beast anymore.  A lot of
my Windows- and Mac-using friends seem pretty happy with these color
inkjets that seem to have saturated the market, and I have to admit they
look pretty darn good!

Would anyone care to recommend a unit?

I'd like color, but the majority of my printing is black/white.  The
color had better be decent, though.  It doesn't need to be overly
speedy.  600dpi resolution or better.  It doesn't need PostScript,
because thanks to the latest fonts, Ghostscript's output finally rivals
that of honest-to-goodness PostScript Level 2.  But that does mean it
needs to grok one of Ghostscript's output formats.  I'd prefer a serial
interface (got plenty of ports on several machines), but those are
pretty rare on printers these days.  Ethernet would be fine, if it's not
too expensive.  And, naturally, this'll go on a FreeBSD system.

Thanks.
--Sean