Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 2015 11:09:29 -0700
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        "Pokala, Ravi" <rpokala@panasas.com>
Cc:        Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>, "cem@FreeBSD.org" <cem@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bus_.*_resource() and rid

On Monday, September 28, 2015 03:01:13 PM Pokala, Ravi wrote:
> [...]

Ah, I did mean to include 'struct resource_i' as part of 'struct resource'.
They are really stored as the same structure, and you can use rman_get_rid()
on a struct resource.

> I have a one-line change to dump_rman() to include the RID along w/ the
> start and end address. That at least got me what I was interested in from
> ddb.

Neat, can you share that?

> As for `devinfo', it looks like (struct u_resource) and (struct u_rman)
> don't include the RID either:

Fooey.  That would be a bit of a PITA to fix then.

> I ultimately just added a "next_rid" field to the softc, saving the value
> after a successful call to bus_set_resource() and then incrementing it.
> That way, each subsequent resource I add for an instance of the device
> gets a unique value, which appears to be the only constraint for IOPORT
> resources. In any case, with that change, both the original and the new
> resource are able to be set and allocated.

So there's actually a 'resource_list_add_next()' that bus drivers can use that
does this, but that doesn't help you in this case. :(  Yes, in general I/O
resources need to have unique RIDs (though I can think of one case that
violates that: the resources for I/O windows in a PCI-PCI bridge that has
ISA decoding enabled all share the same rid).

--
John Baldwin