Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 17:14:39 +0000
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can we do about Java?

Sean Kelly wrote:

> I realize a lot of FreeBSD users are old Unix hands who tend to turn
> their noses up at even the slightest mention of Java (or any other
> coffee product---they tend to like it out of a can with a label like
> Folger's Choice with Maxwellian Crystals, percolated until it's burned
> through, and taken black with six sugars).
>
> I get paid to do Java now, and despite all the hype it's really a nice
> improvement over C++.  My software development times have never been
> lower.  Plus, management finds it a great way to leverage their
> high-powered Unix developers into developing Windows software, and all
> without the kicking, the screaming, and (in some cases) the bleating.
>
> FreeBSD has reached a point where it can almost be called the de facto
> standard operating system for Internet servers.  It really is "the Power
> to Serve."  A very recent article in Java World
>
>         http://www.javaworld.com/jw-12-1997/jw-12-volanomark.html
>
> acknowledges this fact.  The author writes: ``In particular, good Java
> server support in BSD/OS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD represents a
> large chunk of Internet servers to be excluded from Sun's "run anywhere"
> claim.''  There are other specific mentions of FreeBSD in the article as
> well.
>
> I think it's high time FreeBSD become one of the leading Java runtime
> and development platforms.  Our OS is already positioned quite well in
> Internet environments and on the desktops of many of us old Unix hands.
> I'm aware that some FreeBSD core team members also do paid Java
> development with FreeBSD.  I'd like to be able to do that as well with a
> high-performance, low-bug Java system.
>
> I've got the enthusiasm (if not the talent), and I want to help.  What
> can I do? What can *we* do?

 Exellent. I want to join the project.
  The first step must be mail list, so, question:  where I can subscribe  ?
;)

  Some random comments:
     1. Exists 2 ways for Java on FreeBSD project.
          1. Improve the port of the Sun JDK.
              + :  1. Exists full source for other systems.
                     2. It's "canonical" implementation.
               -:   1. Source require licension.
                     2. AWT stuff use Motiff.
                        (current 1.1.2 JDK port work fine with non-graphics
stuff, but
                         AWT realization, in practice, unusable)
                         May be anybody can create port with static Motiff
libraries ?
                    3. Strange binary license policy:
                           why we can  not have Sun Java in ports ?
          2.  Kaffe + Sun  classes.zip + biss-awt toolkit implementation.
                + : 1. It's Freeware. Souce code aviable for all.
                -  : 2. To yuse all features of java, we need to write many
things in native layer.
                         Related projects: kore (free replacement of java
classes)
                The good replacement for biss-awt may be gawt
                        (http://www.dtai.com)

                 I this way the best first step is to develop kaffe
packages on
                 FreeBSD .
                   for example, implement unimplemented
                     functions in java.lang.UnixProcess