Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 97 17:57:00 PST
From:      Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
To:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: I seriously need some networking help

>Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >
> > "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org> writes:
> >
> > > Here is a diagram of what I want to do (if this is possible):
> > > I have not been able to get this configured:
> > >
> > > The ip addresses have been altered to protect innocent networks of
> > > unprotected wincrap 95 machines.
> > >

> > > service provider ------\
> > >                 Ascend Pipeline 50
> > >                  123.123.62.161/27 (router0)
> > >                         |  <----- crossover cable
> > >                       (ed1)
> > >                 FreeBSD Firewall
> > >                  123.123.62.162/27 (core)--(ppp0-modem(remote user)
> > >                       (ed0)                            proxied to
> > >                         |                               ethernet
> > >                 Windoze ethernet 123.123.62.161-190/27
> >
> > This one seems to be possible, but it will be somewest, though)
> >
> > Eivind.
>
> better answer..
> use address translation between the ascend and the FBSD machine
> (using natd)
>
> allloceate 192.168.1.x to the mahines that dial in
> let the FBSD machien use normal routing..

Just another datapoint.  I have a similar network setup:
 FBSD box with two identical PCI Ethernet cards,
 Crossover cable to a Cicso router
 std. cable into an ethernet hub

The box works fine on both networks.  The only problem
is that whenever the T1 goes down, the ethernet port
on the router goes down.  Apparently, when FBSD detects
a dead network interface, it removes all the routes associated
with that interface.

Therefore, everytime I get a hiccup on the T1, I need to
telnet in on the other interface and reboot the box in order for
the box to straighten itself out.

I looked into some docs and found a mention of RIP doing this
and routed working with RIP to discover and fix problems like
this.  (I took the recommendation from the man page and reset
the timeout to 45 seconds.)

This has been happening a lot recently, and it caused the
"stupid fast webserver" to be offline for a weekend.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

 -- Adam.
adamt@smginc.com