Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:26:08 -0700
From:      Mike Allison <mallison@konnections.com>
To:        Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: teTeX, latex, Lyx Books

Here's some titles I have used and abused to my heart's content:

"A Guide to Latex2e" (2nd ed) Kopka & Daly
"The Latex Companion" Goosens Mittelbach and Samarin

and an excellent beginners guide for Plain Tex:

"A Plain Tex Primer" Malcolm Clark

I started with Tex so Clark's was the first I bought.  I still refer to
it often, even in Latex.

Stay away from earlier Latex books like Hahn's (unless it's been
updated), as they deal with the older Latex 2.09 which has substantial
differences.

Anyway you go, there's no better system.

If you need any help, feel free to contact me direct.

-Mike