Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:29:01 +1100
From:      neil <nquigg@tpgi.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd boot problems

I am having a major problem trying to boot BSD.
My system (pentium 166) has a second hard drive installed as master on
the secondary IDE.
Using a boot floppy and CD I am able to configure and install FreeBSD
2.2.5 onto a 2G partition on this drive and also install the boot
loader.
When the system starts up it recognizes both wd0 and wd2 however the
boot command looks for wd1 by default and when I try boot: wd(2,a) the
message unable to find wd(2,a) is returned.
I am rather confused as the system seems to install without any
difficulty.

I have used the auto function from the Label editor in the installation
procedure. It may be of interest that when I enter the label editor in a
subsequent installation attempt all the mount point details are shown as
* while the size details are still ok, only the swap space seems to be
unchanged.

Please help

Cheers
Neil Quigg