Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 23:34:26 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@ninbsdbox.dyn.ml.org>
To:        efinley@castlenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: detecting a PCI NE2000 compatible card

Elliot Finley wrote:

> Hello,
>      I have a PCI NE2000 compatible NIC installed in my 2.2-stable
> box, but it doesn't seem to detect it.  I have 'device ed0' in the
> kernel config file, but I don't end up with a ed0 device when I boot.
>
> Also, what is 'lp0'?
>
> dmesg | grep lp0 says 'lp0: TCP/IP capable interface'.... this isn't
> the loopback device is it? isn't the loopback device lo0?

I probably should be doing this but... lp0 is the TCP/IP over parallel
port interface. I believe it was designed to facilitate FBSD
installation over the parallel port, which is *much* faster than 115K
serial link. Don't worry about it. Most people don't mess with it.
Unless they need it. As for the PCI NE2000, I have found that not
putting in the 'controller pci' line will kill the probe for a PCI NIC.
Don't forget your ed0 line too. Without that, no ethernet! I have found
that if you compile in the ed0 and ed1 with the disable in the line,
like this:

device ed0 at isa? disable port 0x280 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector
edintr
device ed1 at isa? disable port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector
edintr

That when you switch to kernel.GENERIC for some unsightly system
failure/operator error [the latter more prevalent here], your rc.conf is
ready and you don't have to reconfig. In Other Words, you have ethernet
without having to kernel -s and edit rc.conf. Great time saver. Note: no
ed2 line is required. It usually finds it:

ed2 <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> rev 0 int a irq 9 on pci0:17
ed2: address 00:40:05:4d:11:af, type NE2000 (16 bit)

Best of luck. Oops, almost forgot. If the PCI card is PnP, and your BIOS
supports PnP, go and add an interrupt line to the PnP config if you
aren't running all PnP [that's the default]. That's how I tied the NIC
to IRQ 2/9 instead of 3. Don't know about you, but I need those sios.
--

Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
A Person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals