Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 02:38:03 -0500
From:      "Prashant R. Chandra" <prashant+@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems with de driver for quad card

Hi! All,
  Please forgive me if this question has been asked before on the
mailing
list.  I want to report a problem we are facing with the driver for the
Zynx ZX346 Quad PCI ethernet card.  When two of these cards are
connected
back-to-back (in two Pentium II PCs) the configuration seems to go
haywire.
The cards come up complaining that autosense failed and if I use
ifconfig
to set the media type to 100baseTX on both ends, I get connectivity but
I have problem with bidirectional traffic.  Ping seems to work fine, but
doing a TCP bandwidth test using ttcp fails because packets are being
dropped on the point-to-point link between the two cards.  (Fails means
the TCP bandwidth is only about 0.8 Mbps or so).  Another problem is
that
I cannot get the link to operate at 10 Mbps.  If I set the media to
10baseT/UTP,
the interface reports that it has 'no carrier'.

I have repeated the exact same tests with Windows NT 4.0 and everything
seems to be fine (TCP bandwidth of 93 Mbps).
Everything is also fine when one end of the link is a
Dec Alpha workstation with a 100 Mbps ethernet interface (not the same
quad board).  The problem only happens when two quad cards are connected
back to back in FreeBSD PCs.

The problem seems to be due to misconfiguration of
full-duplex/half-duplex
operation.  The list of supported media types for the de driver does not
include 100baseTX <full-duplex> and 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex>.  What is
the
reason? (the hardware supports full-duplex operation)

The version of FreeBSD we are using is FreeBSD 2.2.5.  We also see this
problem with NetBSD 1.3.  It is not suprising since the driver is the
same.
I had posted this message on the NetBSD mailing list a month ago and got
no
reply.  Hopefully I will have better luck this time :-).  If anyone out
there
has tried the quad cards in a back-to-configuration (using a null-cable)
and
has encountered similar problems please let me know.  Any suggestions on
how
to tackle this will be greatly appreciated.  Please reply directly to
prashant@cs.cmu.edu.

  Thank you.
    -prashant

PS:  The exact ifconfig command we use to bring up the interfaces as
100Mbps
is:
ifconfig de0 192.200.51.1 255.255.255.0 192.200.51.255 media 100baseTX
up

R. Prashant Chandra
e-mail: prashant@cs.cmu.edu
Web: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~prashant