Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 10:00:03 -0500
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <k.keithley@opengroup.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WINE (was: Uncle Sam, got a million bucks?)

Christopher Sedore wrote:

> I'd like to see an lightweight X11 replacement (eg photon),

Where is there information on photon?

Lightweight in terms of what? Bandwidth? Memory footprint of the
application? Something else?

What strategy does photon offer for preserving the investment that
various enterprises have made in their existing X11 applications? Or are
you going to pull a Java on me and tell me that the apps have to be
rewritten?

> and apps to
> run with it.  A FreeBSD that ran (with GUI and some apps) on an 8MB 486-66
> would be a killer.

Five years ago I was running FreeBSD on a 486-25 with 8MB of RAM -- and
I was using X too. Three years before that I was running 386/BSD 0.1 on
a 386SX-16 with 4MB, and Thomas Roell's X server -- it was no speed
demon, but it did work.

I'd still be using a 486DX2/66 with 8MB if Frye's hadn't had a special
last year on a Pentium motherboard w/ 100Mhz CPU for $150. I run
Netscape 3.0x, xfig, a dozen xterms, and more. Yes, the Pentium makes it
quite a bit faster, but it was a very servicable machine before I
switched to the Pentium.

All it takes to have that killer system you want already exists -- and
has existed for quite some time now. :-}

I suspect that there's some other set of criteria, like performance,
that you aren't mentioning.

--
Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
X Architect, The Open Group X Project Team