Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 21:53:54 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WINE (was: Uncle Sam, got a million bucks?)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Mon,  9 March 1998 at  2:27:50 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >> Wine has always required more than a "little push", it's required a
> >> Saturn rocket up the ass.  When compared to real solutions like SoftPC
> >> from Insignia solutions, it's not even close to being sufficient for
> >> the intended purpose (running popular Win95 binaries, in case people
> >> forgot) and I doubt that it ever will be.
> >
> > I agree with Jordan on this one.  Even quadrupling my time estimates,
> > I come out with under 3 years for a small 5 man team to make a WIN32
> > capable of running MicroSoft Office.  The 5 coders would have to be
> > *serious* about getting the job done.  The WINE project, though well
> > intentioned, just doesn't seem very serious to me.  8-(.
>
> OK.  This agrees with what I've seen.  Maybe they're just not the
> world's best hackers.

	They aren't bad programmers actually, but they do things pretty fast
and loose (which is in fitting with the permanent-alpha level of the
project). They are also extremely linux-centric.

>  Is anybody interested in doing better?  What
> are the real problems with doing it right?  It seems to me that the
> most difficult one is getting documentation, but even a big API is
> still finite.  Comments?

	I would love it a lot if someone wanted to step up on this one. I've
often said that I would love to help with testing patches and such. My
coding ability is still very much at the neophyte level. As for the API,
it's freely available, the problem is that many programs use
undocumented calls, including and especially MS apps.

	If someone were really looking to get started on this, I'd say scrap
win 3.1 support altogether and work exclusively on win 32. I have one
app that I really want to get working, and bochs won't help me since
it's an internet app.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest