Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:56:44 +0100
From:      Matthew Sharlot <matthew@federal.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HELP!!

Hi,

I'm having a really bad day. Could someone please help me?
I am a complete network dummy, so explainations of any actions I should
take would be of great help for helping me in the future.

The Problem.

I have after several hours of swearing managed to establish a PPP
connection to my ISP via my modem. I cannot however get out on to the
internet. I'm trying to use Mosaic as it came on the installation CD and
getting nowhere. I'm pretty sure that my problem lies with routing. I've
messed around with /etc/rc.conf but I'm not sure what I should be
putting in.
The setup I currently have in win95 is server assigned IP addresses and
a primary DNS of 194.164.41.7 and a secondary DNS of 194.164.41.12
Not ever having been connected to any other networks I don't have an IP
address of my own that I can use for my end of the link (come to think
about it I don't even know if I should have one or not).
Anyway I'm in dire straits and could really use some help. I'm just
hoping that the help anyone can give me will help me understand things a
bit better, as I'm going to be really stuffed when I get my 64k line in,
if I can't figure out networking basics.
Thanks in advance

Matthew Sharlot