Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:34:24 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A lot of idea --- Coordination

Malartre wrote:

> I want to know how FreeBSD team is structured.
>
> I want to know if there is coordonator for each list who can take our
> Idea and make them work.

What happens is we chitchat until something gells enough that we have
something to ask a FreeBSD team member about. For example, this morning
after we discussed screen shots, I sent a mail to John Fieber. He's in
charge of web page design for the FreeBSD site. He's a student, so he
may not get back to us until Monday, since his e-mail is indiana.edu, or
even later, since the last two weeks were probably spring break. I
decided that I'd heard that idea enough times over the last two years
that it's worth pursuing. He's the one who can tell us how big they can
be, where to dump them, etc., since he's the one who will build the web
pages from them.

Other than the FreeBSD web site or something that needs official
permission from Jordan, or a 'port' that needs to be committed by an
official 'committer', guess what? We're it! Pick something you want to
work on, and go to it. Nobody official asked Mark Mayo to build his
database of articles and academia, he just took it on himself. Ditto the
tireless Greg Lehey and Doug White, who take so much of their time to
make -questions work for all of us. Frank Pawlak Started to take on the
task of coordination for -advocacy, but I haven't heard from him in a
few days. You'll have to get used to the idea that in a democracy
(almost anarchy?) like this is, some ideas get done and some don't.

Pick something, work on it, and ask for help when you get stuck. Never
be afraid to ask for help. Getting started is the first step to getting
something done, so have at it! There's no shortage of stuff to do!