Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 11:02:15 -0600
From:      Clod Baldrick <baldrick@rmsq.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bizarre routing problem

We have a small LAN running mostly FreeBSD, with Linux on one machine.  We
recently got an additional machine and put FreeBSD on it as well.  All the
machines mount certain directories from each other over NFS.  When we set up
the new machine, there was no problem with having it see the NFS exports of
all the other machines, including the Linux box.

At some point, however, something happened.  The new machine and the Linux
box can no longer see each other.  Trying to ping one machine from the other
fails, with no useful error message.  Doing a traceroute from the FreeBSD
(tomcat) to the Linux (lancaster) prints lots of asterisks:

traceroute to lancaster (130.13.21.91), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  * *^C

while going the other way, we get `Host unreachable':

traceroute to tomcat (130.13.21.92), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  lancaster (130.13.21.91)  0.386 ms !H  0.14 ms !H  0.104 ms !H

It doesn't look like a cabling problem: putting a FreebSD laptop onto the
same cable works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

--
Clod Baldrick