Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 17:20:18 -0600
From:      "jeremy kam" <jnk@shaw.wave.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linear addressing problem.

When I install the XF86_SVGA server everything works fine in 8 bpp mode.
However, when I startx -- -bpp 16 I am told that I need linear
addressing for this mode.  So, I edited the XF86Config file to enable
linear addressing, and used the various mem addresses provided, as well
as the troubleshooting options listed in the file but each time I startx
my computer either freezes, requiring a power down, or spontaneously
hard reboots.  I have the cirrus logic 5428 video card with 1 MB video
memory but I've tried setting it up using generic VGA, and got the same
error message.  It's on an ISA bus, and the file says that it's not
possible to get linear addressing to work on an ISA bus, but I have been
successful in doing it a few months ago and now I don't remember how and
can't seem to duplicate it.  Is there a solution to this problem, or
perhaps a driver that'll allow me to obtain 800x600 in 16 bpp mode?
Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy