Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:57:44 -0700
From:      "Noonan, Mr Sean P." <noonans@spawar.navy.mil>
To:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CVSup / make world problems

Hi,

I'm a FreeBSD newbie and have a problem.

I just learned about CVSup from the article at
http://www.samag.com/archive/0809/feature.shtml
<http://www.samag.com/archive/0809/feature.shtml>; .  I was able to update
all my 3.2-RELEASE source files an then attempted a 'make world'.

About five minutes into it, it blows up with:

.
.
.
rm -rf lib ext Porting hints build
rm -f .depend /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/miniperl/GPATH
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/miniperl/GRTAGS
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/miniperl/GSYMS
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/miniperl/GTAGS
===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
"Makefile", line 24: Malformed conditional (${PERL_THREADED} == "yes")
"Makefile", line 24: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 26: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 26: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
su-2.03#

I figured the probem is with the file
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/Makefile.  I found the reference to
'(${PERL_THREADED} == "yes"' in this file but nothing "pops out at me" as
being messed up.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how to proceed?  I'd really like to know
about the thought process involved, so I can fix problems like this in the
future on my own.

Thanks in advance,

-Sean Noonan
snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com