Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 12:49:02 -0700
From:      Andrew Sharp <andy@accrue.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        x5gb7uk9@wna-linknet.com
Subject:   Re: home network

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> #define quoting(Arnold J. Rimmer)
> // ifconfig -a is as i indicated previously (after correcting typo):
> // ed0: flags=8843 <UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> //         inet 192.168.1.2  netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
> //         ether 00:00:c0:0f:62:9b
> //
> // no such command in windoze
>
> winipcfg, at least on winblows 95.

ipconfig on NT.  use winipcfg -a or /a or \a or whatever their problem
is.

> // ok as to hardware. loopback test with T-connector and 2 terminators
> // failed on windoze box. auto media detect is on. LED's are present and
> // flash. cables are not leftovers from cable guy. they are new. as are
> // terminators and T-connectors., but i only have the 2 of each, so i
> // cannot test if they are good.
>
> Can't you find a ohmmeter around ?  It's still the most useful tool
> and cost/benefit ratio for coax cable analysis.  :)
>
> // diagnostics seemed ok on windize box, except failed loopback test. BUT
> // on bsd box i had a failed ram test/memory conflict. the setup program
> // allows 2 addressing modes: ram base and i/o mapped. i set to ram base
> // and used 0d800 and set kernal to this as well. the setup only allows a
> // range of c000 - ee00 step 200. kernal apparently has much larger range
> // 000000 - ffffff (?). is there provision for i/o mapping? auto media
> // detection is on; PnP is off. testing would not progress to loopback:
> // stopped when ram test failed.
>
> I strongly suspect of hardware problems.  If you can fix this,
> try also the remote repeater test.  Hope your card's diagnostic
> program has this test.

the chances are zero - none that your card will work in normal operation
if it can't even pass a loopback test.  you've got to solve that on the
dos box before you will get any of this to work.  do what you need to do
to get that to work.

also, remember that freebsd drivers rarely (never?) handle auto-media
sensing. so get the utility and set it to bnc or use the ifconfig
command someone mentioned in one of the other messages posted on this
list.  that looks pretty nifty if it works, actually, i have use for it
myself.