Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 12:43:16 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI - wiring down devices...

I have a machine with a 2940UW and a 2940 in it, and I would like to wire my
SCSI drives down so that:

sd0 = Controller #0  (which boots the system), ID #0
sd1 = Controller #0                            ID #1
sd7 = Controller #1                            ID #0
sd8 = Controller #1                            ID #1

The idea is that the system boot's off the 2940UW, and as I'm going to be
adding and removing a large number of drives over both the controllers - I
don't want sd0 to 'suddenly' get assigned somewhere else - and I'd like the
drives sdX number to be dependant on their ID (to avoid the sdX table
'collapsing' when I remove drives from the middle)...

To this end I've got:

controller      scbus0 at ahc0
controller      scbus1 at ahc1
disk            sd0 at scbus0 target 0
disk            sd7 at scbus1 target 0
disk            sd8 at scbus1 target 1

In my kernel config...

When I try to config the kernel I get:

"
caladan# config SMP-CALADAN
config: line 78: ahc 1 not defined
Warning: sd0 is configured at scbus1 which is not fixed at a single adapter.
"

I fixed this by adding another line to the config that says:

controller	ahc1

My questions are:

a) Is this going to work? - It would 'appear' to work thus far, but I've not
added the drives yet...

b) Can anyone think of anything bad that's going to happen if I do this?

Regards,

Karl Pielorz