Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 18:25:55 -0400
From:      Michael Vioreanu <mjv5296@megahertz.njit.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   extremely slow ppp

I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.6 with kernel PPP or even user PPP(i've tried
both).  I run a Pentium 166MMX, 48 megs ram, 28.8 Sportster Vi Modem,
and more than enough hard drive space.  I'm sorry to admit, but under
Win95, the connection is much faster than in FreeBSD.  Does anyone have
any clues?  I tried disabling V.42bis and setting mru/mtu to 269, but to
no avail.  HTTP is slow (using Netscape 4.04, and lynx), something like
2xx bytes/sec, i believe it should be above 1k/s.  Any clues?

Thanks

Mike V